Thursday, April 29, 2010

Organic Flowing Movement - The Pufferbelly Remodel




My concept model is derived from the graffiti in my inspiration image. It is made of wood beads and wire and is easy to move around in your hands. It captures the feelings of organic, flowing movement as the shape has an organic feeling, the bead are made of wood and the beads slightly move along the wire.




















































For this project I designed a residence, artist gallery and studio for the Seattle photographer Peter De Lory. Some of the things I thought worked well were the use of curved walls and the color scheme. I have never used curved walls in a project before but I am happy with how they carried my concept of organic flowing movement into the residence. I felt as though I took a risk using a red and green color scheme because it is challenging to prevent the home from looking too "Christmas-y." I fell that by using earthy, warm reds and browns and a brighter green the color scheme was successful and helped to bring the concept to life. I also think that lowering the ceilings over more intimate spaces worked well, I think it really helps to make spaces like the bedroom and office more private and cozy. I also like that I used carpeting in these spaces to add to the feeling of comfort and to separate them from the public living spaces that had bamboo floors. If I could change some things about this project I would change some things about the living room and the kitchen. Since the living room is a central seating area, I would add a rug under the furniture to define it more to aide in visual impairment. For the kitchen I would change where the appliances were placed because they don't form an ideal work triangle. I might also locate the dining room closer to the living room to allow for interaction while eating and provide more of a great room feeling. Overall I'm very happy with how the project turned out and I can see that I have made several improvements in my design abilities this semester.
































































































No comments:

Post a Comment